Sunday, September 7, 2008

Wanlads & Wanlasses

Wanlads & Wanlasses
Volume 08-02, September 2008

At Education Week this year I had the opportunity (and urging from Namma) to attend a two sessions put on by Don Aslett and Sandra Phillips. Don Aslett is the guru of cleaning. He has been joined by Sandra Phillips, who embraced his cleaning and organization methods and has now become a part of his creative staff. I attended the sessions entitles: Get Off the Excess Express! Why People Collect, and the Best Way to Eliminate Surplus in Your Home and Desk for Success: Organizing and Streamlining Your Home Office and Workplace. So what did I learn, here are the bullets:

  • We all have stuff that we think we will need but we have been storing it for years and haven’t needed it yet. Probably never will, etc.
  • Our children do not want any of our stuff so don’t save it for them.
  • The best way to de-junk is to begin early in the day when you are more RUTHLESS.
  • To clean your closet or dresser, dump everything on the bed and then only put away those clothes you will wear, still fit, are still usable, etc. If in doubt pass it on to the thrift store. (I did this last weekend and cleaned out my dresser and the three closets where I have clothing. I got rid of some clothes that were still wearable but why do I need eight long-sleeve, white shirts. I only wear one to Church and the temple. So now I have two. I got rid of socks, and jeans, and t-shirts, a coat, a sweater. And now I feel better. Also, I do not have to close stuffed dresser drawers and my clothes hang better in the closet.)
  • Do a little at a time. You can be overwhelmed by the amount and extent of your accumulated stuff. So start with a specific area and do it. Start to finish in a day or less.
  • Work bottom to top. This wasn’t fully detailed but they did talk a lot about how stuff that clutters your life has more of an impact at your working levels. So items that are higher up are actually less of a stress factor because you have to work to see them. But the things on the floor, at knee and waist level, and definitely at eye level become stressors.
  • Only organize and sort your stuff. Do NOT de-junk your spouse’s stuff.
  • Your office needs to be arranged and organized so that the papers and records, office tools and supplies are readily accessible.
  • Your office should be organized to make you more efficient. That means that whatever your work area may be your items need to be between eye and waist level for ease of use.
  • Important papers need to be accessible and secure. You can use whatever works for you fire proof lockbox, three-ring binder, etc.
  • Begin today.
  • Start small.
  • Be specific in what it is you are keeping and why.

(As an aside, if you are saving that size 2 dress or outfit because you are trying to get back into it, take a picture of it and move it on. By the time you get down to size 2 it will probably be out of style anyway. Likewise, those scraps of wood, or extra parts for the mower, or that tool that you used once for the 1973 Pinto, should likewise move along. They are just adding to your clutter, your frustration, and your stress.)

De-junk!

De-stuff!

Start now.

I’d better start today cause Namma is giving me that look. You know the one, Practice what you preach. And her foot is tapping, too!

The Wanlass family going back to school.


Wanlads & WanlassesTM
Published by Wanlass Family Organization

5 comments:

FoxFamily said...

Well Dad, I cleaned out my closet. Just so you know. I only kept 2 pairs of size 4 stuff... the favorites have to stay.
Glad you have the wanlads & wanlasses on the blog. That's a nice place for it. I like your insight. Nice, appropriate comic too!! It was so so good to see you! I love you.

Sandy Plummer said...

Eddie says: You were doing good until you got to the part, "don't throw away your spouses (junk) stuff! (too late!)
Sandy tells me if it doesn't fit in your handcart it goes away. Of course she has a whole wagon train of handcarts at this point! All I want is my garage and my manhood is on the mantle! Sandy says: As well it should be!

wilkinson family said...

i loved the cartoon at top, too funny. thanks for adding the bullets, they were insiteful. a little late on the don't clean out your spouses stuff, i had to learn that one the hard way about 10 yrs. ago. lol oh well.

Myhouse4nine said...

I think it is great that you learned so much, go forth and do! I really think the 73 pinto part has to go! Holly owns the old remotes, but everyone gets confused and trys to keep them safe from her. Just let them go!You cna do this - it is painful, but you can do it!

Abigail said...

Um. . .there is some stuff your kids do want. .. or at least this kid does. . .like Dogfight. and books... and records. . .
but we all know how much clutter I have already!!